More than just Invisible

More than just Invisible

Saturday 13 September 2014

View from a darkened room



Before
 
After
 
There is no plan B
 
'I don't belong here,' was the thought that involuntarily popped into my head on the morning of my first day in New Zealand; four years later, it still resonates, though I've reconciled myself to the fact that I'll probably spend the rest of my life here.

Moving to a new, very different country at the age of 48 was never going to be easy though I thought I'd get used to it after a few months. It didn't quite happen that way...

From being a teacher in London with a quite reasonable standard of living to working 15 hours a week as a library assistant in Dunedin, not to mention custody battles, clinical depression, illness, is quite a jump.

Despite my moaning, I actually  like living here and I've met a lot of really decent people. Still, the end result isn''t quite what I was expecting.

There's also the not very startling fact that it is a very different country to Britain in a million big AND small ways. Anyway, the main thing for me is that there isn't any plan B, so I just have to get on with it.

********************************************************************************
Thoughts on the General Election.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment