More than just Invisible

More than just Invisible

Sunday 1 February 2015

State of the Nation

One of the things I learned at a very early age was if you assume that all governments are composed of lying self serving hypocritical bastards, whose only purpose in life is to abase themselves at the throne of a capitalist class, dripping from head to toe with blood and semen, you will never be disappointed.

This has always held me in good stead, especially as I added, bit by bit, through experience, teachers, employers, the media and every other ancillary arm of the superstructure of the ruling class to the list. Unfortunately, I was much older when I realised that this analysis had to be extended to the leaders of small, neo-Trotskyist sects...

John Key's State of the Nation address is as you would expect from him, including the selling off of thousands of state houses but more enlightening as to his real attitude is his bizarre attack on Eleanor Catton, the 2013 Man Booker prize winner:
 
I happen to think it's a bit sad, because she doesn't clearly see much value in the Government, but I see tremendous value in her. I think she's a great writer, she's been doing wonderful things...
So look, it's just a bit sad really that she's mixing politics with some of the other things that she's better-known for.

Anyway, as I don't currently run a country  (I am open to others though), I'll have to make do with a State of the Blog address.

As usual, I have more plans for the blog than a hyperactive architect on speed and equally as usual, I'm as likely to do them all, as Alex and Charlie (feel free to replace their names with the ' leaders' of your favourite sect) are to lead a revolution other than walking in front of the wheels of a bicycle.

I've got two more parts of  'The Universe wants to play with you' to complete before I take stock of it and possibly rewrite some bits prior to returning to the fray. They've taken so long to finish because I've been distracted by two other writing projects, the eagerly awaited (by my two parrots, at least) sword and sorcery short story and a longish poem I'm wrestling with.

I've decided that all of my new writing apart from TUWTPWY will appear on my new blog that will be launched with great pomp and ceremony some time this decade year.

The anti-authoritarian political beginnings I describe above, have been re-invigorated by a whole heap of people and books over the last couple of years. The biggest hat tip has to go to the Association Musical Marxists who have not only published excellent books but have also sponsored and hosted meetings and a website that challenge all kinds of orthodoxies. Which is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment