More than just Invisible

More than just Invisible

Tuesday 14 October 2014

View from a darkened room

Am I a hobo?
View from new house
 

 
I'm just about to move house, the fifth time in the 4 years I've lived in New Zealand, so I got thinking about how many different places I've lived in over my 52 years.
 
I lived with my parents in Liverpool until I was almost 17, 1978, and then until October 1990, I lived in another 6 houses or flats before I spent the next 9 months travelling throughout Eastern Europe.
 
Returning to England, I moved to London and for the next 10 years, from 1991 to 2001, I lived in 9 flats and then finally in the same house for the 9 years before emigrating.

Altogether, that's 22 places in 52 years or 2.36363636 a year; that seems a lot, especially when you consider my Dad who's 85 has only lived in 3 houses apart from 2 years in the army.

Is this normal, or am I just a semi-hobo?

The reason for moving is essentially a complete lack of space which is just getting worse and making life stressful; three adults and four children in a three bedroom house just doesn't add up. So me and my two kids are moving to a two bedroom rental house, before hopefully buying the house next door to here which would be ideal. It's going to be peculiar living on my own again even for half a week; on the plus side, I'll be able to have my books, cds and records with me again after 2 years in a storage unit.

Current reading and listening

Via internet, I've been listening to a lot of Eugene Chadbourne for the last week or so. He is awesome, as the Kiwis say. Listen to this. On the reading front, I'm reading the Megalithic Empire by M. J. Harper and H. L. Vered and Minima Moralia by Theodor Adorno.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment