More than just Invisible

More than just Invisible

Tuesday 27 May 2014

The universe wants to play with you (part 13)


Merlin was raging. Flecks of spit decorated monitors, walls and Aaron's face.

This is war. I'm not being treated like this. I am not going to put up with this. He's a red; he admitted it. He's a traitor, a fifth columnist. I'm going to ring Farry on the emergency number.

Aaron's ears and nose were already bleeding as Merlin's voice rose higher and he started to jump up and down. Next would be the banging of his head against the wall, followed by destruction of everything around him.

Aaron moved slowly and quietly into the other room, closed the door behind him, took a gas mask out of the cupboard, put it on and then tapped a code into a key pad under a shelf. He counted up to 25 and stopped when he heard a loud thud from the main room.

After waiting for a few more minutes, he went back to Merlin, turned him over and put a pillow under his head and cuffed his hands and feet. He quickly rang Merlin's wife and then went home.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aaron removed the cuffs from Merlin's feet and hands.

*How bad was I?

*Ok. Only verbal. I got you just in time before you turned into the hulk. You were going to ring Farry to denounce Gillespie.

*Hmmm, I think I might still do that.

*You can't.

*Why not?

*Think about it. What if it's a test of your loyalty to see if Gillespie can trust you? Or it could be a test to see if you'd put the organisation first. You don't know. Whatever you say or don't say could be wrong. We're in a wilderness of mirrors. Gillespie is right when he said in the café that we don't actually know who we're really working for and to what end.

*That's wrong. You can't be like this. We have to be right. We have to do this-we have to carry on. Gillespie has given up. He's got no faith any more if he ever did. This is too important to give up. I don't care if it's a test, we can't have someone like him in charge of the programme. You've got to choose sides Aaron.

*Look, you're taking this wrong way. He was just wondering out loud. I've known you for over 20 years Merlin. You know I'm with you. I'm just being cautious. I'm not giving up on you. Don't do anything stupid.

*Ok. I'm just worried about Gillespie. Let's get on with today's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment