More than just Invisible

More than just Invisible

Thursday 24 April 2014

The universe wants to play with you (Part nine)

Aaron and Merlin sat at a table squashed by the wall, adjacent to their impressive array of computer equipment, complete with tracking devices, monitors, everything shiny and hi-tech. The irony wasn’t lost on Merlin that modern technology is, in certain circumstances, easily bested by the primordial violence of the vengeful.
A silence, brought on by the imminent arrival of Gillespie Quigg, added to the already despondent atmosphere. Quigg, if born centuries earlier, would have been the perfect witch finder or member of the Inquisition or something else equally intimidating. He had the knack of making you think he already knew something that you wanted to keep secret, so you ended up telling him anyway.
*I don’t know what to say to Gillespie about my face.
*shaving accident?
*only if I’d been shaving with broken glass. I suppose I’ll have to go with a car crash. More important is what we’re going to say about our progress on the files.
*look Merl, we’re doing fine on all of them apart from the woman and we can just say we’re making slower progress because she was the last of this batch.
*that’ll only work if he’s not in a hands-on mood or he’ll be having us drive him round to the house to ask her.
*really?
*I’m joking. I think. All depends on what mood he’s in.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………
As Gillespie Quigg walked the mile to Aaron and Merlin’s office, he focused on what he needed to say to them. This wasn’t easy. One of his many rules was always following his instinct; the few times he didn’t were always regretted. His instinct now was that something wasn’t right with their operation in general and their latest subject in particular.
Despite objections from others above him, he had insisted they were the right people for the job. Merlin was conventional in his thinking but he had a good analytical mind. Aaron was naïve, impulsive but had a photographic memory for faces and details. Together they should have made a good team but now he wasn’t so sure.
When he arrived, he could sense a different kind of tension to normal and the state of Merlin’s face showed something had gone wrong. Taking the car crash explanation at face value, he jumped straight in:
*I think you two are out of your depth, given the situation we’re in. You’re not delivering the results I need. We need to talk seriously about what I can do to help you.
Quigg almost smiled to himself; they both looked like naughty school kids caught out by their teacher.
*That's not true Gillespie-we're on top of what we do and we're ready to move up to the next level.
*What situation?
*We’ll see. Ok. Did either of you read the ODT today?
Both answered no.
Quigg gave them a photocopy of the article from the ODT about the dwarf incidents.
*Well, read this article and I'll ask you both a question about it.
*You first Aaron. What do you think?
*Yep, I knew it was just a stunt right from the start.
*Merlin?
*no, I don't believe it. Too vague, no names, no details and it mentions copycat actions twice, as if they're getting in early with the explanation for the next sighting. Just doesn’t make sense. Not that I think the original story is true.
*You’re wrong Merl, it's got a quote from Mal Parker-I know him, he wouldn't lie.
*He would if the alternative was traffic duty-this is why I said you're out of your depth. There's a lot going on that you don’t know about.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Less than a hundred metres away, Hawthorn Villan was treating herself to a celebratory coffee, sandwich and cake for lunch-a radical change from rice and lentils. Pleased that she didn’t have to start work until later, she’d gone home and emailed a few people about her morning’s activity; there’s nothing like revenge to set you up for a good day.
Her phone on the table rang but stopped before she could pick it up. Blocked number was displayed – damn, she thought, I must owe money. Looking across the café, a woman was staring directly at her; fuck, it was her doppelganger again. Hawthorn hesitated; she wanted to go over and talk to her but what would happen? Would they cancel each other out or both explode in a flash of sparks and fire.
Hesitation over, she glanced back ready to get up. She was gone,
*Hello Hawthorn.
She shrieked and jumped. *Shit.
*I shouldn’t be able to do that, should I? But I can. As my mum used to say, there’s more things you can do with your mind than there’s fleas on a dog.
*Who are you?
The woman was younger than Hawthorn had thought but definitely looked like her.
*Name, rank and serial number?
*Why are you following me? *ha, ha…I thought it was you following me-I think we just follow the same star. *I want to know your name.
*Names are handy things. I’ve got lots of them-what about you?
* Enough thank you but you still haven’t told me yours.
*Well, one of them is Fernanda but if you don’t like that, we can try some of my other ones.
Hawthorn leant across the table, gripped Fernanda’s hand, looked deep into her eyes and whispered, *are you a catholic? For dust you are, and to dust you shall return.
Ferdanda’s confidence quickly faded into uncertainty. *I don’t understand.
*I’ve got quite a reputation for being violent but that’s not what you need to be worried about with me, is it? I think you’ve just realised who you’re dealing with haven’t you?
*Quite possibly, yes. Fernanda managed a faint smile as she said this.
*Good, so we can start all over again without the stage tricks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m not at the top of the food chain but I get some good scraps thrown my way sometimes so I’ve built up a picture of what’s going on. The dwarves aren’t important but they’ve been around since the Holland government though where they live is another question as you’d imagine someone would have noticed them.
Then there’s the underground nuclear reactor that was built in by secret by Muldoon which is still functioning for no apparent purpose; it’s well-known amongst MPs and the media but the public don’t know about it. There’s more but they’re just sideshows.
The New Zealand economy is fucked; but capitalism is functioning just like it should. It’s behind all this where the real decisions take place. There’s a constant battle between parts of the state, private security firms, corporations, police, military, the intelligence services about what should be done; they’ve all got different agendas and their fights spill over into the public. And we’re part of it.
Of course, what happens here is minor compared to the States. Think about the NSA scandal. Their budget was increased by 4 million; the CIA and other agencies’ budgets were reduced by around the same amount so have a guess what’s going on here.
Anyway, there’s more than enough technology out now or waiting in the wings to make keeping secrets almost impossible. The more there is, the more there’ll be in the future-that’s how it goes-all this data that is collected leads to the ability to control more of what we do and think-that’s the aim and will probably be the result
Half the battles going on are about who will be in control. That’s mainly what we’re involved in. We’re not dealing with terrorists or subversives but working for one side to stack up the odds in their favour.
*You’re believing conspiracy theories, Gillespie. The world is simpler than that.
*I’ve spent thirty years conspiring against people; I know what I’m talking about.
*The dwarf stuff is bollocks. I think you’ve become too cynical
*I’m not cynical; I’ve spent my life spying on people, framing them, wrecking their lives, all for organisations who told me it was for the good of society.
*Why do it then?
*I was in a left wing group and got trapped into informing. I could have refused but I was faced by an alternative that would have really hurt someone close to me. I was too scared by what could happen that I went along with it. I hate what I do to people; it’s like I sold my soul. But none of that’s any excuse; I’m up to my elbows in it and there’s no way out now, even though it destroys me.
*You’re going soft; me and Aaron do this because it’s important. Someone has to do this type of thing and despite what you say, we do it well.
*I’m under pressure for you to get results and if you don’t, we’re all in the shit. Look, I’m going to take you out for some food now but we have to work on a plan to help you. I need to know what really happened to your face Merlin and I also want you to give me Hawthorn Villan’s data.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment