More than just Invisible

More than just Invisible

Monday 14 October 2013

The view from Wigan...

is not a particularly exciting one, but this is where I've been staying for the last couple of weeks while visiting family in Britain.
Not the view from my sister's house

Things haven't changed massively here since I left three years ago. Just more of the same. The coalition seems determined to follow New Zealand's economic and social policies, namely, hollowing out the economy and destroying social welfare along with union rights.

It's strange going back to places you grew up in when so much time has passed. It's around thirty years or so  since I lived in my Dad's house for any length of time but the three years in New Zealand have given it the quality of a black and white film. Any idea of confronting the ghosts of the past, part of the reason for going, and laying them to rest was just impossible. The past still lives there and weighs heavily on the heads of the living or something...

I was feeling pretty depressed by this as I was watching the England game on Friday night when I had what can only be described as a spiritual experience: I suddenly had the impression that all the thoughts and feelings related to everything in my past that had screwed me up was being sucked out of me and I didn't need to even think about it anymore as it didn't matter. The past was over I could now move on. So I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment